Thursday, January 19, 2006

I Will Not Be Shaken

I like watching birds. Over my kitchen sink is a small window beyond which is a bush honeysuckle on which I've hung a couple of feeders to give myself some entertainment while doing the dishes. We do have a dishwasher but I enjoy the chore; it's my thinking/praying time. It's a blustery day this morning and the goldfinches are gripping the feeders with amazing tenacity. Their feathers churn with every vigorous gust of wind yet their tiny claws clasp the swaying feeder firmly and they go about their task of eating undeterred.

I'm clinging to my agrarian vision with the same fierce determination. Last night when I brought up the topic of goats versus cows as a source of milk, son #2 protested: 1) We don't drink milk! and 2) Who was going to be doing all the work? (You have to understand this was after a long, tiring day working out in the world; he apprentices with Dwayne as a commercial painter.)
Being an oddball, I'm accustomed to naysayers, so his pessimism rolled right off my back.

Certainly, at this point my focus is aimed more at the end product than on the work it entails to reach that goal but as I look out my windows, I think, "What a waste it would be not to use this." Just as our children are a heritage of the Lord, I am of the mind that because the Lord has given us this land, surely we have a covenantal obligation to tend it. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that what it's all about?

2 Comments:

Blogger JFC said...

I am of the mind that because the Lord has given us this land, surely we have a covenantal obligation to tend it. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that what it's all about?

You are absolutely right! We do have an obligation to tend it. Now, how to get there from here might be a problem. Most of us have not been trained in all the skills needed to tend that which God has given. But to be making steps in that direction is obligatory. And, not only obligatory, but also a huge source of joy (as obedience always turns out to be)!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My pastor often uses the metaphor of "Seed Time and Harvest" to illustrate practically everything in the Bible, since the metaphor is found throughout. (He is a cotton farmer's son, and knows about the cycles firsthand.) I have been blessed by his teachings - so manythings in scripture just went over my head until I understood the practical implications. (Sure, a lot on finances, but other areas too)How blessed your kids will be - and great their understanding will be - by this vision you have. OH MY GOSH I"M LATE TO GET KIDS. I know this isn't smooth, and i'd go back and edit it, but I'M LATE! Aaaack. (Lov eyour site)

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home