Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Fulfillment of Our Desire


The Christ-child lay on Mary's lap
His hair was like a light
O weary, weary were the world
But here is all aright
The Christ-child lay on Mary's breast
His hair was like a star
O stern and cunning are the Kings
But here the true hearts are
The Christ-child lay on Mary's heart
His hair was like a fire
O weary, weary is the world
But here the world's desire
The Christ-child stood at Mary's knee
His hair was like a crown
And all the flowers looked up at him
And all the stars looked down
---- G.K. Chesterton
I've tried to find this online without success but if you can locate the CD called "Hark, How the Bells" on Amazon, you will find this listed as "Christ Child Carol" performed by the UCLA Madrigal Singers. It is truly a beautiful piece of music.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lynn said...

I would love to hear it! I loved reading it. And set to music? 'Twould be beautiful!

Lynn

11:52 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Lynn,
It is beautiful! I picked this CD up at WalMart of all places several years ago. All the pieces on it are exquisite, so I highly recommend it to lovers of great Christmas music!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Hmmm, I'm beginning to see G K Chesterton's name everywhere!!

Lovely words, Emily.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Jeanne,
I think he was one of the most brilliant writers...of all time!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Lynn said...

Emily, I will certainly look for it! Thank you for that info on that. I love pretty music, and this time of year -- cold outside, hot chocolate, crafting -- that's the perfect background music.

Lynn

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home