Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Gift

Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
2 Corinthians 9:15
This is how God showed his love among us:
He sent his one and only Son into the world
that we might live through him.
1 John 4:9
In the bleak mid-winter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak mid-winter
Long ago.
Our God, Heav'n cannot hold him,
Nor earth sustain;
Heav'n and earth shall flee away
When he comes to reign:
In the bleak mid-winter
A stable-place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty
Jesus Christ.
Enough for him, whom cherubim
Worship night and day,
A breastful of milk
And a mangerful of hay;
Enough for him, whom angels
Fall down before,
The ox and ass and camel
Which adore.
What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a Wise Man
I would do my part, -
Yet what can I give him,
Give my heart.
--- Words: Christina Rossetti (1830-94)
Music: Harold Darke (1888-1976)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home