Sunday, April 27, 2008

Good Intentions

I had them.

It is National Poetry Month. I love poetry. I fully intended to post one each and every day.

Then, then, then............

Then I came down with the mother of all colds.

Then Dwayne came down with a nasty infection.

Then our ancient septic system declared itself sick and tired.

All this on top of various and sundry cares, large and small, that have claimed our attention in the past few months. Financial difficulties. Job stresses. Health problems.


This is not to complain, for I know that it is the Lord's will concerning us at this time, and I pray that he will be glorified in it, that we will be strengthened and become more conformed to the image of Christ, and that he will use us to comfort and encourage others. I know many people who are in the midst of one trial or another, all different but equally distressful to those involved.


Jesus said that in this world we will have trouble, but to take heart, for he has overcome the world. I do take heart in those words. I also remember that he was able to look beyond the agonies that he endured on the cross to the joys which lay ahead.


Are we not blessed? I thank God: For Jesus Christ, for my salvation, for my marriage, my husband, and my children, for my family and friends, for the place we worship, for the unity of the body, for my life. For it is in him that I live and move and have my being. He is the reason for my existence. What is my purpose? To glorify God and to enjoy him forever.


There is great joy and peace to be gained in sharing our burdens with one another. I want to encourage anyone reading my blog to place what is on their hearts here so that we can pray for each other and praise the Lord together. Our bodies may decay and grow feeble but we can still exalt his name.

Have you surrendered all to Him? Every aspect of who you are? Every belonging? Every "thing" to which you cling? Not just the things you hold near and dear to your heart......but your pain and sorrow and sufferings as well?

Each morning after we read Scripture and have a devotion, Anna Rose and I recite whatever verses we are memorizing, and then sing a hymn. One we have recently learned is called Take My Life, and Let it Be. Its lyrics were written many years ago by a young girl named Frances Ridley Havergaal whose heart burned with the desire to be used by God to reach others for his kingdom:


Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.


Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for thee.


Take my voice, and let me sing, always, only, for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.


Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect, and use ev'ry pow'r as Thou shall choose,
Ev'ry pow'r as Thou shall choose.


Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.


Take my love; my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take my self, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.



This is not an eloquent post, no Scripture references, just what is on my mind and heart today. I hope to encourage others by a reminder that even though circumstances may be difficult right now (and difficult may be the understatement of the year) for you, and it may seem that the Lord is distant, remember that he is forever the same, his Word never changes, his promises are unfailing. Pray. Pray. Pray. Read his Word, even if it is just the Psalms. Especially the Psalms. Praise his name. Pray some more. Trust. Be diligent. Be faithful. Be still and wait upon him.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

This is a good post, Emily. I love that hymn. I heard something once that makes me very careful what I sing....

Christians don't tell lies, but they sure sing them.

We need to take to heart the words we sing out to our King.

Hope ya'll are on the mend!!!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Marci,
Thank you, and you're right about being careful when we sing. Raising my voice to the Lord in song is the same as praying, so I need to be alert to what the words say before they leave my lips.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Annesphamily said...

What a beautifulsite. I am tired after a long long day of busy weekend business. Thank you for the encouragement.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home