Monday, January 30, 2006

A Rose By Any Other Name.....


To call her the Terrorist Baby seems unfair in this picturesque pose, so allow me to introduce my daughter Anna-Rose, a name given to her by the Lord at the moment of her birth, but that is a story for another time.

All week I've been experiencing a case of the winter doldrums that seem to strike about this time every year. It doesn't help that the weather has been so fickle, taunting us with hints of spring only to dump another half a foot of snow on our foolish schemes. It therefore seemed fitting that I should treat myself - and anyone else who stops by - for a sample of what is slumbering beneath the soil in our yard. The Lord has truly blessed me with my dream of dreams in leading us to this home. We first viewed the house in August of last summer when many of the blooms had already passed. Anna-Rose is inhaling the sweet scent of white phlox in this photo while behind her stands Bee Balm, also called Monarda. It has a spicy aroma not unlike oregano to my thinking. The yellow flowers are Black-Eyed Susans which grow in proliferation around the house and back yard. Spring and summer's coming attractions include:

Day Lilies
Bearded Iris (all around the barn!)
Peonies
Roses (pink!)
Sweet Peas
Lilies of the Valley (delicious perfume)
Rhodendron
White Coneflower (Echinacea!)
Forsythia

Add to this vision row upon row of lilacs in every imaginable color - a heavenly parade down both sides of the back lawn with one huge bush smack dab in the center! Somebody pinch me!

Somewhere in the midst of this lovely garden of tranquility, farm life will be taking place. Vegetables and herbs will be planted, chickens will roam, goats will frolic, and God's creation will flourish. Being a practical sort, I can almost envision the future with my flowers being eaten by chickens and trampled by goats and vice versa! I suppose it will make for an interesting blog at any rate! Stay tuned for further developments.

9 Comments:

Blogger JFC said...

She would, indeed, appear to be a very lovely young lady. But lest you feel guilty about the previously used appellation (Terrorist Baby), let me assure you that most of us understand the Jekyll and Hyde nature of young children, and we don't doubt either your word, or your sanity. I believe the Kansas Milkmaid has been known to use the term Terrorist Midgets in reference to her own lovely children.

Thank you for posting the lovely picture. It does brighten up an otherwise dreary winter day!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thank you, Jon. Anna-Rose was the Lord's blessing to us six years ago when we thought the well was dry. :) She is a constant joy and wonder. (As in we wonder what she'll be up to next!)

The "Terrorist Baby" alias came about when she crawled at five months, scaled the furniture at six months, then at seven months stood up and used a laundry basket as a makeshift walker to mobilize her way around the house. And life has never been the same since! Yes, Jekyll and Hyde nature most definitely! I will have to share a post in the future of her most daring and hilarious escapades.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I'm so envious of those flowers!! What a splendid assortment you have! Did you plant them yourself, or did you inherit them with the house?

Your daughter is precious! You don't want to know what I call my children when they are in their 'devil' phase!!! :-)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Well, Christine, those were all planted by previous owners. Wasn't that nice of them? :) Some of the lilacs must be at least 50 years old. This spring I'll be concentrating on herbs and vegetables - putting in raised beds for both - and just enjoying the beauty of the flowers that are already here. Oh, maybe I'll put in a few! :)

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amidst the snow showers this afternoon it was so great to see the picture of Anna & the flowers. It definitely brings brightness to the gloomy day. Just think, in 3 months the bulbs will be bursting forth growth from the ground with a colorful assortment of blossoms. Just in time for Easter, perhaps.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Jane, thank you for stopping by! I am in a fever of anticipation of what spring may bring forth around our property! Daffodils? Crocuses? Hyacinths? Tulips? Only the Lord knows and I'm sure He has a treat in store! In the meanwhile, I dream on..........

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!

Thank-you for sharing your beautiful garden picture with your 'angelic' daugher. I'm an avid garden addict and go thru 'dirt withdrawl' about this time of year. It's just 2 more weeks b4 we start geminating seeds for this coming growing season.:)

I certainly enjoy growing and viewing colorful flowers but my real joy is the looks of a thriving and productive vegetable garden. I also find real pleasure in my apple orchard. My last apple from my orchard is waiting for me in my fridge. That's not to bad, I've been eating my own apples since mid-August.

You said that you were interested in receiving a copy of our 'Country Living Skills' Jan. workshop. Please write to me at: mountainfirekeeper@yahoo.com and give me your snail mail address. I'll include an hour video of knife sharpening that I just finished.

May God continue to bless you and your family!

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

White coneflower! So much prettier than the purple, and better foliage. Hope you post pics of that when it's in bloom. (And I can't wait to hear the story of the naming of Anna-Rose!)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Kelsey,
I never even knew they came in white until I saw them in my yard here! I'm looking forward to sharing my garden's bounty on my blog. Only a little while longer and I can start some seeds indoors! And I promise to devote an entire post to Anna-Rose sometime soon. She keeps us busy, that girl!

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home