Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Huh?



"There is a sumptuous variety about the New England weather that compels the stranger's admiration - and regret. The weather is always doing something there; always attending strictly to business; always getting up new designs and trying them on the people to see how they will go. But it gets through more business in spring than in any other season. In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours………….The people of New England are by nature patient and forbearing; but there are some things which they will not stand. Every year they kill a lot of poets for writing about "Beautiful Spring." These are generally casual visitors, who bring their notions of spring from somewhere else, and cannot, of course, know how the natives feel about spring. And so, the first thing they know, the opportunity to inquire how they feel has permanently gone by……..Yes, one of the brightest gems in the New England weather is the dazzling uncertainty of it. There is only one thing certain about it, you are certain there is going to be plenty of weather."


(Quote courtesy Mark Twain.......click on the link to read the entire speech.)

(Sentiments about New England weather by courtesy of Calvin.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

We are having snow on and off as well. Ours is not sticking though. It sticks for a very short time and then melts away. =)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a fair blizzard out here. And it's supposed to be tornado season! Instead of worrying about supercells we're in winter wonderland all over again.

*sigh*

Such is Kansas weather.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Marci,
Oh, I wish ours would just melt away! We got about 8" of the heavy wet stuff and then it got colder so it's not going away anytime soon. Ugh.

Karisa,
I sigh with you. A week ago I had a pocketful of plans and boy was I ambitious. Now I look out the window and shake my head. Just goes to show Who is really in charge.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

"In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours" - I just love Mark Twain :)

I planted peas about a week ago when it was in the 70s and now I'm wondering if they'll rot in all the snow and cold rain before they get warm enough (again) to germinate.

Never a dull moment, that's for sure.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Leslie,
We still have plenty of snow to go around. Want any? :) I'll tell you, I am not motivated to try and plant anything the way the weather has been playing tricks on us. I know spring will get here eventually but I'm not holding my breath!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home