Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Refuge

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." - Philippians 4:8
Another manner in which God ministers to me is in the form of beauty. Since I am in my home most of the time, it needs to be a sanctuary of peace and comfort, a place of quiet contentment. It reminds me that He is to be our refuge from the storms of life.
If you were to visit me, you would find artwork and Scripture on the walls, small vignettes of figurines and whatnots on desks, bureaus, and bookcases, and books.....books on every conceivable surface. Doilies cover chairbacks and provide a foundation for centerpieces on each table. Everywhere you look, there is beauty to impress your sense of sight.
If you listen carefully, you may hear the pleasant strains of Bach or Mozart. Soft candlelight glows and fills the room with the comforting aroma of sweet vanilla sugar cookies. Bubbling on the stovetop may be a pot of broth, filled with nourishing vegetables or turkey with rice and mushrooms. A tray of muffins is cooling on the counter, ready to split and fill with soft butter. There is even a friendly cat or two to twine about your legs or curl up on your lap.
All these elements combine to form a warm and hospitable atmosphere that ministers to those who live here as well as those who may come to call.Do come in....I've been expecting you!

7 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

I see pictures like that one of your window. Or, I go to people's house and they are so artful with their displays in the nooks and crannies and even on top of their fridge. Mine get so dusty and cobweb covered so quickly, that I am trying to not do any of that. How do people keep it so clean and fresh looking? I have an extremely dusty house (wood heat and cement floors).

6:18 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Marci,
Well, it probably helps that I am very nearsighted and don't see most of the dust. LOL Actually, I change around the decor so often that it doesn't have a chance to collect much dust. The things that are more permanent (like framed prints) get dusted when we do our rounds. Anna Rose and I have a list for each room, and we go through a room a day. We get dust here, too, but I blame the cats for that since we don't have the wood heat or carpeting. I know simple can be beautiful, too, but I have to have my artwork and little adornments to look at.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Richele said...

What a beautiful window display! You've painted such a warm picture that I can just smell those muffins. I'll skip the butter though - unlike Mrs. Groundhog, I do care about my rolls of fat but I do think it would be so nice not to.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Emily,
I would love to see your house. You would not love to see mine! There is hope, however, because the guys are starting to work on the upstairs kitchen area.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Richele,
Thank you! That is my post-Christmas winter window decor. It will come down sometime in April, I think, to be replace with something for spring. Nothing says home like a hot, fragrant dinner on the stove. I love coming in on a cold day to the aroma of soup and muffins. :)

Lynn,
And I would dearly love you to come and visit me! Maybe someday if you and Jim come to NH to visit family? I'm sure you'll be ecstatic when your house is finished; you all have worked so hard on your homestead and have been doing such a great job. I can't wait to see pictures when the house is done!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I would so love to visit you! I love this post. i may just do my version one day soon. Our homes are very different, but i hope you would enjoy visiting all the same. At least you would recognise the piles of books and the music playing in the background.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Jeanne,
I would love to have you over for tea...we could browse my bookshelves while the girls play with the chickens and Vivaldi keeps us company. :) Let's see, if you left now, what time would you arrive? That would be quite the trip! Have you been to the States before?

Australia is the one country I would love to visit besides England. First I would stop in and see you....if only I had a healthy back and loads of cash....;^D

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home