Friday, January 01, 2010

Unknown Waters

(Arthur Elsley)

I've been contemplating the days that lie ahead in the coming year with a sense of anticipation and full assurance that whatever may transpire, not only does the Lord Almighty walk beside me, he has ordained all that will pass. Whether joy or sorrow, pleasure or penance, it has been decreed by the one who loves me best and whose word promises that it is for my good. What a sweet cushion of comfort upon which I may lay my head and rest.


(William Bouguereau )

O Lord,

Length of days does not profit me

except the days are passed in thy presence,

in thy service, to thy glory,

Give me a grace that precedes, follows, guides,

sustains, sanctifies, aids every hour,

that I may not be one moment apart from thee,

but may rely on thy Spirit

to supply every thought,

speak in every word,

direct every step,

prosper every work,

build up every mote of faith,

and give me a desire

to show forth thy praise;

testify thy love,

advance thy kingdom.

I launch my bark on the unknown waters

of this year,

with thee, O Father, as my harbour,

thee, O Son, at my helm,

thee, O Holy Spirit, filling my sails.

Guide me to heaven with my loins girt,

my lamp burning,

my ear open to thy calls,

my heart full of love,

my soul free.

Give me thy grace to sanctify me,

thy comforts to cheer,

thy wisdom to teach,

thy right hand to guide,

thy counsel to instruct,

thy law to judge,

thy presence to stabilize.

May thy fear be my awe,

thy triumphs my joy.
(from The Valley of Vision)


May we welcome all that God has planned for us this new year, being anxious for nothing, and forgetting not his benefits, most especially the Gift whose birth we have just spent a season celebrating. In that one Gift, we truly have all.

(Honthorst - Adoration of the Shepherds)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Dana said...

Sorry I missed your comment on my A Very Nearly Tea blog. Just wanted to let you know that the issue with Principled Discovery was fixed. My account had gotten hacked. The poor blog's days are numbered, however. I guess you'll get to be the first to get the public announcement, but I'll be shutting down Principled Discovery and moving over here:

http://roscommonacres.com

11:32 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for letting me know, Dana. It was quite shocking, to say the least. Sorry that happened to you. Anyway, I'm looking forward to visiting your new blog. Happy New Year!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Richele said...

Thank you for your new year post. You mentioned the Gift we so recently celebrated and I just finished reading John 4:10 "If you knew the gift of God and who it is who says to you, Give Me a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water."

Enjoy the well that never runs dry this year!

ps Are you close in proximity to me? You can email me from my blog if you like.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thanks, Richele....great verse! I'll stop by your blog and send you an email.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I came upon your blog through TNGirl. I absolutely LOVE the artwork and photos you share in your posts! We have similar interests, particularly wrt to our Lord!

I, too, found this poem from The Valley of Vision, a perfect prayer for the New Year (and shared it on my blog as well :-)

Thanks again for sharing such beauty, inspiration, and Light through your life and blog!

Blessings, Linda

12:17 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Linda, thank you so much for your kinds words! I'll have to pop over and visit your blog now.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home