Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My Babies Are Growing Up!

The chicks are doing great......thanks to all who offered their advice! I think I got an especially healthy batch here, and God willing, we won't have any losses. Here are some recent pictures. (Excuse me if I sound like a proud momma!)


Look at them.....roosting like the big girls! I put a stick in the bin a couple inches off the floor the other day and they hopped right up there. I've even caught them sleeping on it. It amazes me to witness their God-given instincts.

Nobody told me how fast baby chicks grow. They are only a week old and they can FLY to the top of the bin! I had to put a gate on top or they'd be all over the dining room. A week ago they just had this little nub peeking out from the fuzz and now look at that wingspan. And tailfeathers, too!

Nobody told me what a sheep mentality baby chicks have. If someone does something, they all have to do it. One pecks on the side of the bin, they all come trotting over and peck. One starts chirping, they all have to chirp. One tries to fly, they all have to try. One goes to eat, they all have to eat. And so on and so on.

They get so excited when I come into the room.....first the peeps increase, then they start running around, then one of them flaps her wings, and of course everyone has to get into the act and pretty soon there's a riot going on. If I put my hand down inside the bin, there's a shoving match to see who can get up my arm the fastest. These little buggers are feisty!

Most hilarious of all is what happens when we dangle a worm overhead. One of the more aggresive chicks will grab it and take off around the perimeter of the bin with the rest of the brood in hot pursuit, cheeping frantically. Honestly, it looks like a football game the way they block and tackle as they scramble around. One will steal the worm and they'll have a tug of war over it. Or - even funnier - one (usually a cockerel for some reason) will snatch up a piece of the litter and start the "I've got something, come get me" cheeping, and start racing around until he has the whole gang after him, then he'll suddenly drop the litter and stand there innocently while everyone else is milling around wondering what happened. I knew I'd have lots of dumb chick stories but that sounds pretty smart to me! Is that how they get the ladies to chase them?

My other little chickie is growing up fast, too. She's lost her first two teeth within the last month. Next thing you know she'll have a family of her own. In between those two milestones, I hope to enjoy her every precious moment she's around!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chickens are getting bigger. Nice to see them doing so well.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Emily!

Those are some really 'cute' stories about your baby chicks! Please continue sharing your 'proud Mama' moments!

Oh, by the way, baby chicks grow really, REALLY fast! You won't believe the difference a month from now until you experience it for yourself.

Your other 'chick' is really cute as well!

Best wishes and may God bless!

6:39 PM  
Blogger TNfarmgirl said...

Emily,
You had me in stitches - makes me think of children on a payground!
Cheri

7:49 PM  
Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

Thanks for the stories about your chicks! I missed all those things last time around, because they weren't growing up in the house. Maybe I can catch some of that this time. Our chicks will be here next week, and friends offered to bring us some of their Cornish cross chicks, as someone gave them 250 of them! Your little "Terrorist Baby" is so cute! You are right, they sure grow up quickly.

11:57 PM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Emily,

You're right, chicks do grow up fast. We witnessed it with the layers we've gotten, but close to two weeks ago, we picked up some Cornish cross chicks. They grow so fast, it's freakish. We fully understand Rick Saenz and family calling them FrankenChicken!

Mary Susan

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby chicks are one of my most favorite critters on the farm. Like you I really enjoy throwing in a worm and watching them chase the winner! The other day a hen from the free range flock came in the barn and grabed a mouse! It took off running with 6 other grown hens and 2 roosters in hot persuit. I laughed for hours, replaying that scene in my mind.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Hexdek16 said...

I'd have to agree the NCL tournaments are my favorite part of the growing process. Seeing the chicks run the worm and battle for possession of the prize is most amazing.

You’ll have so much fun as they get older and start to strut round the yard & garden as you work. A pleasant and welcomed distraction from weeding.

Regards,

Scott


PS. NCL stands for National Chicken League, we had our own play offs here at the house durring feedings. We call it the "Water Bowl", but is sure is super to watch them eat & drink! ;^)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thank you for your kind words and comments, everyone!

PJ,
By the time I'm done detailing my experiences, you'll be well-informed!

Steven,
I'm seeing just how fast they grow firsthand. They're starting to approach that C- category already!

Cheri,
I don't know when I've laughed more - watching the chicks grow up or my kids!

Lynn,
I hope you're able to spend time "playing" with your chicks. As Steven says, they grow up fast just like our other babies! :)

Mary Susan,
I've heard about those chickens and did read Rick's comment about them on his blog. We got a dual-purpose breed for that very reason.

Patti,
You're not the first person who has mentioned an "experience" with turkeys. We thought we might try it sometime in the future but not this year. We sure are enjoying these chickens!

Scott T.,
Oh, I would've loved to see that! We're looking forward to many such funny moments with ours.

Scott H.,
What's so funny about it is they will do it even when nobody is chasing them; it's almost like they want to play. We can't wait to have them out in the yard. Who needs television?

Prairiemomma,
We are having fun! I am amazed every day at their instincts. It's so true that Creation points to God in every way. The little cockerels right now are less aggressive than many of the pullets.....guess that will change when they grow up and start getting bossier. Can't wait to hear that first crow!

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home