Friday, December 15, 2006

A New Addition to the Family!

***A cautionary note: Be forewarned that the following post contains some talk of "female issues" that may be somewhat embarrassing, discomforting, or just downright boring to the menfolk in my little audience.

For women, the approach of middle-age brings with it a variety of physical and emotional changes which can either delight or horrify depending upon ones attitude. Rising and declining hormone levels can make life a daily roller-coaster ride, wrinkles begin to appear, weight is harder to shed, and muscles grow slacker. But grey hairs do not necessarily signal the descent down the other side of the hill. God's Word invokes the image of wisdom and respect in regards to a grey head. So we should rejoice in growing older, correct?
It's not the numbers, though, it's the uncertainty. Each monthly.....ahem.....cycle brings either surprise, shock, disappointment, or rejoicing.....again, depending on ones attitude. When Dwayne and I were married, I came to him with two sons. After several years, we were convinced that we were not to have a child together and were accepting of that as God's will. Not actively trying to conceive but at the same time doing nothing to prevent it. (Please understand that I am not attempting to begin a debate on this issue but comments are always welcomed.)
At the "ripe old" age of forty, I began to feel a bit odd one month. Lo and behold, a pregnancy test confirmed what one friend suspected, and I was "with child" as they say. I'll never forget the mix of emotions......elation, fear, shock! When Dwayne got home from work that day, I led him into the bedroom and suggested that he sit down. He was absolutely clueless, had no idea that I had even taken a test. When I told him the good news, he became hysterical and couldn't stop laughing. Just couldn't believe it. And so began the life of Anna-Rose, a blessing from the Lord in my middle age. (Her birth story is worthy of its own post, so I will leave that for another time.)
This past year I've taken pregnancy tests a few times, most recently last month. The little pink line was very adamant. Negative. Again I felt that poignant mix of emotions. Sadness, relief, disappointment. It was the Lord's will and yet I felt a loss.
At any rate, we discussed adopting and this past week we made a decision. What better time than Christmas to take in an orphan?

Allow me to introduce you to Calvin!

Did I have you going there? No, I do not equate acquiring a kitten with the glorious arrival of a new baby but he sure is warm and cuddly! Our Christmas present to ourselves was to go to a local shelter and pick out a new best friend for Anna-Rose. Somehow chickens and guineas just do not cotton to being snuggled and they are definitely not welcome to share her pillow. This little guy really was an orphan, along with three siblings, but we elected to take only one. His personality matches Anna's......affectionate, sociable, playful, strong-willed, and adorable. A perfect pair!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

You had me going, Emily! I had my last one at 43, so maybe there's hope for you yet! I'm so glad to see you blogging again.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Em,
I loved your blog. You would of really had me going/heart palpitations=for what I don't know- except that I know you got the kitten. Is it's name still 'Oliver' or something else.
He looks so adorable.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hello dear ladies! :)

Patti,
Thanks...I'll pass your compliment on. He really is a cutie. As for plucking, um, let's not go there, ok? ;D

Lynn,
I couldn't resist! You should have heard me giggling as I was typing! I'm sure there's hope for me but as the window of fertility grows narrower each month, I'm not holding my breath. But...with God all things are possible! So you never know!

Jane,
Heehee....now I wish hadn't told you! :) Yes, Anna-Rose relented on her choice of Oliver so he is definitely named Calvin now. Of course! It had to be a major historical figure, right? :) Actually I think Anna only gave in because she loves the comic Calvin and Hobbes!

4:48 PM  
Blogger TNfarmgirl said...

Emily,
He is so snuggly looking....what a wonderful way to celebrate! I'm glad you're back...I missed your writing. As a note of encouragement, I had my last child at 42 but had to take progesterone to make it happen :)
Blessings,
Cheri

9:51 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Emily, I got all excited for you and then was HORRIFIED!!! =) Just remember, I am the one who doesn't like cats. =)

I just turned 48 and still hope for another child. My one son is adopted. He is 22. I just keep thinking of Sarah.... 90 years old. =)

3:52 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Cheri,
Thank you! I have missed writing and will try to do so more often. There is certainly enough going on to talk about around here. We do love snuggling with Calvin. He's the most affectionate kitty I've ever had. I take progesterone, too, and have for a couple of years now. I don't know what the Lord's plans are but for now we'll just wait and see.

Marci,
Sorry to *horrify* you! :) I did go through a period of not wanting a cat. We grew up with them and then my mom had way too many and I got kind of disgusted for a while. I don't know what gave me the idea to get Calvin but I'm so glad we did. He's such a sweetie. I'm the same age as you and certainly don't consider myself *too old* to get pregnant again, and nothing is impossible with God, so I wish you the best. May His will be done in your life!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Patricia Bunk said...

Your post is so true in women with the fact that there are so many changes we go through. I too am going through all sorts of changes. Best of luck to you where ever God takes you.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home