Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Chicken Chronicles

I just now answered everyone's comments on my last posting. Forgive the delay, but we were suddenly deluged (and not with rain) around here. Several days of picture perfect weather prompted a flurry of outdoor activity. I haven't even been cooking indoors!

The chicks have been growing at an alarming rate. In two weeks they have progressed from adorable toddler to gawky adolescent. And I do mean gawky in every sense of the word. I almost expect them to break out in a rash of acne and ask for the keys to the car.
This gal was mighty proud of herself. As I was cleaning out the litter this morning she hopped up onto the roosting stick and, with a great leap and flapping of wings, launched herself upward onto the top of the food container. Thought she was hot stuff until she glanced down and became a little bewildered looking at everyone else still standing below her. I think they were a bit bewildered as well. She's the fasting growing and most athletic of the bunch, and the first to actually earn a name. I found myself calling her Madame Marie after a nickname the Terrorist Baby anointed me with when she was much younger. No idea why, just a four-year-old's whimsy of the moment I suppose. I have learned not to question the machinations of her extremely imaginative thought life!
I promise not to even mention chickens in my next posting! I am overdue with a review of Herrick Kimball's precious new book, Writings of a Deliberate Agrarian, so I will be devoting an entire post to that......see you next time!

9 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

I'm loving your chick stories. Smart of you to put a little roost in there, and a gate over the top of their box.

Mine just came today - a day or two earlier than I expected. I thought of you as I ran around (like a chicken with my head cut off) putting down newspaper, filling food and water containers, and dashing off to the post office.

You post as many chick entries as you like. They're quite enjoyable.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks life you'll have your hands full with that one chick. Nice to see the pictures.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

It was so great reading about the chickens. We have got to get over to see them before they get too big. Love the picture of your little girl with the beautiful flowers & pretty smile on her face.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

love your babies! We got 50 at the end of Feb so they are much bigger now and enjoying roosting and scratching around in the chicken lot. Here is a website that I get my laundry and softner recipes from : http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/form_home.html You can even order supplies from them. We took 4x4's and made our clothesline posts. We also used some heavy duty wire we had around to make the clothesline. Everyone couple of months I have hubby tighten the lines a little for me. Thanks for stopping by and I love reading your blog!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

I'm enjoying your chick chronicles. Our Cornish Cross chicks are brooding in a metal watering trough in our hoop house, so we have to be careful during the day to make sure they don't overheat. I was amazed that they are getting their feathers already, so they are starting that ugly stage. The ones we ordered from the hatchery will arrive any day now, and hopefully it will be sooner than later!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Leslie,
Thanks! I can't take credit for the roost idea....I read it somewhere or other. They love it. It's so cunning to see them lined up on the stick, heads drooping. Inevitably another chick will jump up and knock one over. Too funny. Hope you have as much fun with yours!

PJ,
Hands full is right, literally, because we try to hold them as much as possible to get them used to human contact. They will be our family egg providers and possibly mommies and daddies to future generations. :)

Jane,
Nice to "see" you....hope to have you and Bob up real soon before the chickies lose all their cuteness! They're getting so many feathers in I can almost hear them growing. Anna is the easiest subject to take pictures of since she just loves to pose.

Peggy,
Thank you so much! I will check (I was about to spell chick - heehee)out that website for the recipes. I can't wait to get my clothesline up and hang some laundry. That has to be one of the best smells in the world!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Lynn,
Ha, you posted a comment just as I was replying to others. :) I know what you mean about overheating. They start panting and sprawling out. The other day it was so hot out I thought I'd bring ours out for a treat. Big mistake. They had a panic attack. Back in the house real quick. Poor things, I kept apologizing for torturing them. They were happy to be back inside under their artificial light. Go figure!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

You're a good momma! The chicks look like they are growing wonderfully!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Christine,
Thanks! They're really upping their food intake, too. I'm going to have to get extra feed next time around. How are the eggs....coming or not?

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home