Tuesday, June 13, 2006

You must read this book!

Having long enjoyed Herrick Kimball's blog, and being familiar with his eloquent and heartfelt writing, it was with great pleasure that I received a copy of his newest book, Writings of a Deliberate Agrarian. Although eager to read it, once I began, I knew that this would be one of those choice books which one must savor in small, lingering bites, so forgive me, Herrick, in taking so long to write this review!
Our journey began not when we bought our current home, but months beforehand, when I providentially stumbled across a group of people blogging on the internet. They formed an online community of "Christian Agrarians." I immediately became intrigued by their thoughts and life experiences. God was calling me and challenging my sedentary, system-dependent way of life, and began using these voices to spur me on. And so, in faith, we stepped out and crossed a vast chasm into a new country. When I started my own blog at the beginning of this year to chronicle our agrarian pilgrimage, Herrick was one of the first to respond with a warm welcome, enthusiam, and advice. He is one of many "pioneers" whose online presence has been a source of wisdom and encouragement to me.
In Writings of a Deliberate Agrarian, which has almost a devotional feel to it, Herrick offers up a sampling of expressive writings on the life of a Christian agrarian: his own, to be specific. Whether it's sharing his thoughts and observations during a spontaneous lounge among his garden beds, or poking a hard-knuckled finger into the eye of the modern food industry, his words are at times poignant, often profound, and always powerful. These stories made me laugh, cry, and - most importantly - think. I was drawn into Herrick's heart and home, and my appetite was whet to not only know more, but to be a part of this good life, the simpler way.
Read Writings of a Deliberate Agrarian and you will be inspired, enlightened, and perhaps even encouraged to begin an agrarian journey of your own. I can promise that one way or another, you will be impacted by this book. In his Foreword, Herrick describes this collection of essays as "several teaspoon samples of a much larger feast." I agree with the exception that I would deem this book to be a feast with merit of its own. Enjoy the banquet!

4 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

What a great review, Emily. Thanks for posting it.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

You do such a great job of expressing yourself, Emily! I have yet to post a review myself, but when Jim and Jonathan were heading to Iowa they told us they didn't want us reading ahead of them! We've had so much fun reading a chapter and then comparing notes with their experiences.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Herrick Kimball said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Emily. Thank you for this wonderful review!

4:43 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Leslie,
Thank you! It's a great book, one I would recommend to anyone.

Lynn,
Thanks for the compliment! I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts as well.

Herrick,
Writings of a Deliberate Agrarian is one of the most satisfying reads; I almost hated to finish it! I know it is a book I will return to again and again. Thank you for writing it!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home