Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Memorable Story

"One of the many things nobody ever tells you about middle age is that it's such a nice change from being young."
Dorothy Canfield Fisher (February 17, 1879 - November 9, 1958)

Today is Dorothy Canfield Fisher's birthday. She wrote one of my favorite children's books, Understood Betsy. Poor timid Betsy is an orphan sent to live with her "barbaric" cousins in Vermont. Coddled nearly to death by the maiden aunt with whom she had lived, she is entirely unprepared for the independence she will need to muster to adjust and thrive in this new situation. You will cheer along with Betsy as she slowly awakens to just how rich life can be, even - and maybe especially - in the simplest and most primitive setting.

If by unhappy circumstance you don't own a copy of the book, you can always read it online here, but I highly recommend buying your own copy because you will return to it again and again. You don't have to be seven, ten, or twelve years old to read Understood Betsy. I can assure you that it will bring joy to your heart - and a tear to your eye - no matter what golden age you have reached. Find a youngster with whom you can curl up on a snowy day; light the fire, share a pot of cocoa and some biscuits, and meet Betsy together. You will never forget her!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

I love Betsy too. The quote is delightful as well!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Jeanne,
Do you know that I bought Understood Betsy and fell in love with it long before Anna Rose was born? I love the way the Lord moved me to buy all these wonderful "living books" at library sales so years later I could share them with my little girl.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just finished reading Understood Betsy. This book was given to my Mother on her 9th birthday in 1931 by her Grandmother. This book is still relevant today. And it is also amazing to hold the real book and see the inscription from my Great Grandmother. Something you can't do with ebooks. Jane

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home