Thursday, April 01, 2010

A Prayer in Spring

Did you know that April is National Poetry Month? I'm hoping to post a new poem each day. Who would like to join me?

Having recently completed a lovely six week long study of Robert Frost and his poetry, I'm going to start off with a piece he wrote which is especially suited to this time of year when we look forward to days filled with sunlight, birdsong, and apple blossoms. In this poem we are encouraged to savor the season and its daily pleasures. It reminds me that God's creation exists to glorify Him and that we who are part of it bring praises to His name when we delight in that which He has made.


A Prayer in Spring


Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers today;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.

Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.

And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.

For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfull.

~Robert Frost~

2 Comments:

Anonymous Carmon Friedrich said...

Emily, who is the artist of the second picture? It looks like a Carl Larsson painting, but I haven't seen it before. Beautiful! And it makes me happy you are celebrating April with poetry :-).

Hugs,
Carmon

6:50 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Carmon, yes, it is a Carl Larsson. You have a good eye! I discovered a website filled with his works and downloaded most of them! :) I love that he was so obviously devoted to his family. My mother-in-law (who is Finnish and shops at Scandinavian boutiques) gave me some of his prints - in poster form - many years ago, and I have been enthralled ever since.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home