Sunday, March 05, 2006

Back in Business

After several days scuttling about in the involuntary impersonation of a question mark, it feels good to sit down in an upright position and write again. I want to thank all the dear people who posted comments, prayed for me, helped out by preparing meals, and just in general let me know that I am loved and needed. The Lord is good, and my cup runneth over!

There is a great deal of catching up to do around the house but it could be much, much worse. Anna-Rose makes a good nurse and is generous with compassionate prayers and gentle hugs and kisses, but this guy is "the man" when it comes to the nitty-gritty down and dirty business of running a household.

Isaac Daniel (aka Son#2)

He even managed to complete the majority of the priming and painting in the bathroom while doing laundry and washing dishes. He'll make a great wife - er, husband - someday! Seriously, in the midst of my physical trial, I was prompted to come to the Lord's feet with a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving for children who are able and equipped to help when necessary. Son#1 made an effort to call several times a day to check on me, and took time after a busy day at work to bring over a day's worth of some much needed medication so I could have a peaceful sleep. Although I don't usually go the prescription med route it did enable me to rest my body more comfortably and it was a small enough dosage that I did not suffer any residual effects.

So I'm back to normal, traveling at light speed, full throttle, pedal to the metal, and doing *too much* as is customary. Dwayne pointed out that when I have an idea, I want it to be done.......right away. The Bradshaws have set up a to-do list right on their blog. My format is similar but generously fills the entire length, breadth and depth of an office memo pad. My ambition too often exceeds my physical capabilities but that's where husbands and teenaged sons come in. I do find that they prefer to accomplish a task without help (or hindrance as the case may be if I am involved in the project) rather than take the time to teach me. So my carpentry and painting skills are almost non-existent and since I am a visual/kinesthetic learner, following directions in a book is a blueprint for failure. Contrary to modern methods of teaching, when I was still in high school, shop class was for the boys and sewing and cooking for the girls, and my daddy was not a handy fellow around the house. Dwayne says that carpentry would be easier for me with power tools but the idea of me with such a device in my hand when I can't even chop an onion or grate a block of cheese without involving my fingers in the process creates such a spasm of fear in my mind that I literally black out for a minute or two. Guess I'll continue to stick to safe tasks like folding towels and feeding the cat.

The weather is beginning to settle down and become more temperate. As the ground thaws, our driveway has warmed up enough to be the color and consistency of a thick chocolate pudding. The Terrorist Baby has experienced her every heart's desire in that delicious swamp of goo - stomping, splattering, sitting, digging, crawling, sliding, falling (accidentally and deliberately) - everything except tasting it. Not trusting her common sense, and taking her blondness into account, I carefully examine the corners of her mouth each day for traces of mud. With all that muck combined with her passion for role-playing I never know when she might be inspired to play This Little Piggie.

#235 - Invest in pair of sturdy rubber boots

#568 - Lay gravel in driveway

It's just about time to start our seeds indoors. I see that even though he is further north, Steven has gotten a head start on me. He does have the advantage of a greenhouse and hoophouse which is also somewhere on my list, page 35 I believe. I need to sit down with my packets of seeds and planting guide and set up a schedule. Today I realized that we may have to take down some other trees beside the killer maple that is threatening to crush our house. Three or four older pines at the back of the yard are blocking the sun because of their height, and will probably need to have their tops lopped off before they are felled.

Rain is predicted on and off for this week and the temperature will be in the high 40's on average so I anticipate being able to get outside and and take care of some work around the property like measuring off the planting beds. We need to find a source for free lumber to put around the raised beds. Pallets, maybe? I also thought of getting a soil test kit. If that would be waste of money, someone let me know before I spend it! I know that when we bought this place the grass was growing very lushly all around it so the soil must be in good shape.......?????

More news to come as it happens!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Em,
I just got your blog today from a week ago as I checked on Friday. So glad you're doing better. The weather has been so beautiful. We got the front yard all cleared yesterday & it isn't even the middle of March. Next will be the flower beds to uncover the tulips, etc.. Talked to Dwayne awhile ago & he is busy working at home. No rest for the weary when you own a house. So thankful for your kids, & happy for Anna to play in all the 'clay'! Take it easy.
Love, Jane

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better so quickly---"so quickly" you read with a shutter.......yes really, back injuries can take months to recover. I know from personal experience a few odd years ago.

It sounds like you are in the middle of the muddy transition between snow and green!!!! Our springlike weather has taken a pause with low 20s forecast for this next week.

Thanks for the compliments on our video! I really do hope to convert my productions to DVD soon---better quality and easier editing.

Next Sunday is our March CLS workshop.......fun!

May the Lord continue to bless you and your family!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

I'm glad you are back, Emily! I missed your posts and comments. I too am "all thumbs" when it comes to carpentry and other hands on "men things." My Dad was a perfectionist and would rather do things himself than teach my brothers and I. Somehow they learned on their own how to do things, but I developed a mental block when it came to trying my own projects. At least out here it doesn't matter how things look, as long as they work! As soon as the snow starts melting my 3 younger boys are full time into rubber boots -- until the snow flies in the fall! I guess it's much easier to slip into boots than it is to lace tennis shoes.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I'm glad you're better! Sounds like you've got some great helpmeets in the making!

Some of my seeds haven't done so well, so I've started another batch. The ones that are going strong are almost out into the garden. Make sure you ask Steven how to 'Stratify' seeds....I did!! I'm still waiting to see if it worked!

Around here, we're either in galoshes (the other way of saying rubber boots) or barefoot!! And trying to stay away from red ants (whose bites are not fun! very itchy and lots of swelling).

3:04 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Jane - Thanks for stopping by. We'll have to come over and see how your yard looks. I'm still anxious to see what will pop up around here. Spring is coming little by little!

Steven - I always forget that there is a fifth season: Mud! I know only too well how serious back injuries can be having landed in the hospital overnight on morphine a few years ago. I always intend to take it easy, but....! Thanks for your concern.

Lynn - I am very happy to be here and pain-free, and thank you for missing me! It's nice to be appreciated. :) Over the weekend I actually accomplished some painting all by myself and found that I wasn't the klutz I though I was. I'll be posting about my adventure later.

Christine - Yes, I can always rely on my kids in a pinch, and with the Lord's help am attempting to train them up with the skills they will need when they are married. Hm, stratifying seeds? Sounds familiar...I will check with Steven as you suggest. I don't envy you those red ants! We have ticks all year now it seems and we'll be into our black fly season sooner than we'd like. Ugh. They are such a pestilence; going outside can be a nightmare. Although last year I discovered they dislike a combination of peppermint and rosemary oil. I don't suppose that would work on ants?

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you can check soil stuff for free through your county extension office. That's what all the gardening magazines say!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Kelsey - Thanks so much for the excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that? :)

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home