Friday, March 31, 2006

A Mystery

Ah, Spring......renewal of life. The birds have put on their new frocks and we are treated to goldfinches flitting to and fro like airborne daffodils when they were a shabby brown only last week. Birdsong fills the house when we wake each morning.

As we rake out several years' worth of leaves from beneath the lilacs and other bushes around the house, each new finding brings exclamations of surprise and delight. I'm no expert but I believe we have uncovered tulips, daffodils, and irises peeping through the soil.


Our most recent discovery, however, has left me somewhat puzzled. Two days ago, on a trek through the wooded area that borders the back of our property, Dwayne and Anna-Rose unearthed this grisly relic.


We believe it to be bovine in nature. It has become the Terrorist Baby's new best friend. She calls it a dinosaur. I have explicit instructions to keep her out of the woods lest she excavate the entire skeleton.

So, a mystery. A corpse without a clue. Whose remains?

***Mystery solved!***

I've added more photos to show the top and bottom of our mystery skull. After much research online and closer examination of the skull we now are convinced that it is that of a domestic pig. Although the molars have level chewing surfaces, you can see the holes in the front where the other pointy teeth would have been. It is the only skull that has the type of steep angular slope to the forehead rather than a gradual flat slope.

While the identity of our "corpse" has been revealed, it makes us even more curious. We knew that there had been sheep on this property in the past, but hadn't heard about pigs. Perhaps even further back in history a farmer was sustaining his family with the food he grew and raised here. After all this house has been around for almost 200 years so it wouldn't be unlikely. More research to do!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

Neat story, Emily! It will be a while before we can get out and do some work, as we had quite a bit of snow last night. That melted, so we are back to the mud!

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!

I'm so very anxious to be out playing in the yard like you described. The wonder and magic of seeing the renewal of life after months of cold and white lifts my spirits and brings joy to my heart.

Having plants in my little greenhouse helps bridge the gap between winter and outdoor plants starting to grow. I will be sending you plans for our hoophouse with the video I'm working on. I'm thinking that the images will help explain it a lot more than my line drawings.

I don't have any idea what your skull is. It's not a cow, horse, pig, goat or deer. The long nose and the steep angle between the nose and the forehead has me baffled. The skull does have back teeth like a grasseater. Please let me know if you ever find out.

Best wishes!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Walter Jeffries said...

I'm not sure what it is. If it is a pig it is one with a much longer nose than our pigs. They all have much shorter snouts. A tusk would clarify.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it was a feral pig that just happened into your forest for its final moments. I still find old cattle bones in my woods, though the ranching days are decades gone.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

COOL! Call the Simthsonian!

What a fun adventure.

Diane

8:53 AM  
Blogger Bipin Sen said...

hmmm.. no wonder i enjoy city life. most excavations have already been done.. :-)

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home